The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) is an apex body that oversees vigilance activities in India. It is an independent body that reports directly to the President of India. The CVC’s functional domains include:
- Preventive vigilance: The CVC undertakes preventive vigilance measures to prevent corruption and other wrongdoing in government agencies. This includes reviewing procedures and systems, conducting inspections, and providing training to government employees.
- Investigation: The CVC investigates allegations of corruption and other wrongdoing in government agencies. It has the power to investigate any public servant, including those of the highest rank.
- Prosecution: The CVC can recommend the prosecution of public servants who are found to have committed corruption or other wrongdoing. It can also assist the prosecution in such cases.
The Whistle Blower Protection Act, 2011 was enacted to protect individuals who disclose information about corruption or other wrongdoing in government agencies. The Act provides the following key protections to whistleblowers:
- Protection from victimization: The Act prohibits government agencies from retaliating against whistleblowers. Any person who retaliates against a whistleblower can be punished with imprisonment for up to three years or a fine of up to five lakh rupees, or both.
- Right to anonymity: Whistleblowers have the right to remain anonymous when making a disclosure. Their identity can only be disclosed with their consent or if it is necessary for the investigation.
- Compensation and rehabilitation: Whistleblowers who suffer any loss or damage as a result of making a disclosure are entitled to compensation and rehabilitation.
The Whistle Blower Protection Act is a landmark piece of legislation that has helped to create a more conducive environment for whistleblowing in India. It has also helped to deter corruption and other wrongdoing in government agencies.
The CVC and the Whistle Blower Protection Act play an important role in promoting transparency and accountability in government. They help to ensure that government agencies are functioning in a fair and honest manner.